Job Title: Overnight Shelter Coordinator, Paso Robles
Department: Paso Robles
Overnight Team Supervisor: Shelter Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Rate: $18.00/hr base rate (+ $2.30/hr Hazard Pay - must be onsite - temporary benefit until 6/30/23) Date: February 2023
Reporting to the Shelter Manager, the Overnight Shelter Coordinator will provide nightly oversight of the Paso Robles Homeless Services Center by the El Camino Homeless Organization. The Overnight Shelter Coordinator will oversee the overnight activities of the facility and meet the needs of the ECHO clients staying there. The position also entails completing overnight tasks such as laundry and maintenance to keep the facility running smoothly. We are looking for a person who has a can-do attitude, is passionate about engaging individuals experiencing homelessness and/or has experience with this population.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
● Oversees activities and general operation at the shelter site during overnight hours.
● Checks in with previous shift staff and Volunteers about what occurred during their shift.
● Evaluates the condition of the shelter premises nightly upon arrival for maintenance, upkeep or cleanliness. Will report the conditions of the shelter to the Shelter Manager.
● Rounds of the entire shelter areas should be completed approximately every 30 minutes throughout the shift. Pick up trash while on rounds
● Empty all trash nightly
● Respond to the clients’ needs and assist them as needed.
● Work with management to ensure that overnight tasks are completed and shelter chores are being completed by the clients.
● Ensures the safety of the clients, volunteers, and shelter.
● Use de-escalation skills & trauma informed care approach when client issues arise.
● Attend weekly staff meetings and Overnight Coordinator meetings.
● Other duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills, Talents, & Abilities
● Calm demeanor; able to work under pressure; able to respond to a crisis situation, health or safety issue and take appropriate and immediate action.
● Excellent oral communication skills and the ability to interact with all departments/levels of the organization and outside third parties in a highly professional manner.
● Ability to work with diverse populations including those facing challenges in the areas of mental health, domestic violence, child welfare services and aging.
● Excellent time-management and organizational skills with the ability to work independently and take initiative.
● Able to maintain a high-level privacy and confidentiality of employees’, guests’ and clients’ information.
● Knowledge of universal precautions and what constitutes a medical or situational emergency.
● Understanding of mandated reporting laws.
● Must be professional, flexible, friendly, and work as a team player.
● Assume ownership for accomplishing assignments, requests and tasks.
● Intermediate knowledge of Office Suite, including WORD, EXCEL, and PowerPoint. Education and/or Experience
● High School Diploma/GED or equivalent experience.
● 1 years’ experience working for a non-profit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is usually sedentary, and frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and sometimes lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Variable work environment; work is conducted both indoors and outdoors with varying environmental conditions; doors to indoor facilities often kept open, so warm clothing is required when working at night. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Noise level varies from quiet office environment to very noisy shelter and dining hall. Variable work environment; work is conducted mostly indoors.
ECHO is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, marital status, age, or any other protected status covered by federal or state law.
No phone calls, please. Acknowledgement I acknowledge that I have read the job description and requirements for the Office Manager position and certify that I can perform these essential functions.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.